Monday, October 21, 2019

Resource Blog #5




Click Here to see my Resource!

While this resource is more guided towards younger grades, K-5, it can be a great resource for 4th and 5th grade teachers. The link that I have provided is to the 5th grade math page. This website provides great games online, as well as worksheets that can be printed out and given to the class. In my opinion, I think that games can sometimes be more effective than worksheets for homework. While it is important for the teacher to have a physical copy of their understanding of the concepts, it is a lot more thrilling for them to go home and play a game and may not even feel like work.

This website provides great games for so many different topics. One way that I would love to use things like this in my classroom is maybe having them take a pre-quiz in class, going home to play the game and coming back the next day to take another quiz. I want to try out this method and see if the game playing is actually effective to their learning and can help teach concepts in a different way that they may better understand. For students that are more visual learners, this will definitely benefit them and encourage them to do more math than they would normally have.

I know that doing homework can be a real downer and can often get boring. For students that are still in elementary school, it might be hard for them to go sit and focus for that long doing homework for multiple classes. This might be a nice activity for them to do once a week or so to get a distraction and break from worksheet after worksheet. It is more hands on and gives them something to look forward to and be excited about.

Word Count: 301

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I really enjoyed looking at your resource and happy you were able to explain it more in depth in class. I liked how you mentioned that this interactive resource can be a homework assignment and/or used in class as a "fun" day. This resource is both fun for students and helps them master concepts. I love how this resource has online games and also printable worksheets for students. I could use this on Friday's in class to end a long week of hard work.

    Word count: 85

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I like how this can be used as a type of review for students or more "studying" instead of just doing worksheets or being lectured at. I also like how it has a bunch of different topics like number sense and geometry, so it can be used more than once. I also like how hands on these games are and how that can be beneficial to the students because they aren't just picking and choosing an answer until they get the right one but figuring it out and taking their time.
    Word Count: 92

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post

As a future math teacher, literacy is not often something that I think about or something that I have even thought about educating myself on...