Monday, September 2, 2019

Synthesis Blog #2

The concept that stuck out most to me about this reading is the passage about how students want the teacher to do the thinking for them rather than them doing it themselves. I feel like this is an important thought to have in the back of our heads as teachers because even we don't have the answers to everything. It is important to have our students think hard about the content they are learning and not give them all of the answers without them processing the information first.
They need to learn how to think deeply and figure challenges out on their own. We can help with that by giving them extra activities or deeper questions for them to think about and really consider if they completely understand the material or not. We need to encourage them to ask questions that are not just about the content, but their understanding of the content. Rather than just having them do worksheets and work individually, we need to encourage them to be able to explain their learning and thought process so they realize why the answers are what they are.
One way that this strategy can be used in a math classroom is teaching students the content, have them work some problems out on their own, and then going to the board and explain their thinking. Some students are going to do problems a little bit different than others, and it is important to show that they can be solved in multiple ways. Solving problems using different methods can encourage deeper thought and will also inspire students to ask more questions about the process rather than "Why is the answer not 4?"

Word Count: 280

1 comment:

  1. I agree it is an important idea that teachers need to understand that students have to be shown how to read. It is vital for them to understand how to comprehend a passage. I also loved how you touched upon the idea that teachers sometimes wait for an answer or have students explain, as you said: "why is the answer not 4?". In the classroom that never helped me with my comprehension and that is something I hope to avoid in my classroom. I want to translate active reading into my classroom. My job is to show children how to read, not tell them.

    WC: 104

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post

As a future math teacher, literacy is not often something that I think about or something that I have even thought about educating myself on...