Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Chapter 2 Synthesis Post

There was a scenario mentioned in the text that stuck out to me the most. The text read,  "Have you ever noticed how you can drive your car across town to a friend's house, daydream all the way there and still arrive at your destination?" (Subject Matters 30-31). This hit home for me because it happens way too often. When going to a new destination, we tend to have GPS or directions that we are reading or listening to intently. Once something becomes routine, we tend to have our mind on other things and fail to pay attention to small details as soon as we get comfortable. The same thing happens when we read. If we are familiar with a subject or topic, we tend to skim and not read every single word and look deep into the meaning. If there is a reading about a subject we are unsure about, we try to pick apart the reading and make sense of it piece by piece, almost paying too much attention to it. Often times we read things, and nothing gets stored in our brain or memory because of the wording or the content being read. If we have no idea what topic a reading is on, like the cricket one at the beginning of the chapter, it is just in our nature to read the words and be okay with not understanding the context or what the reading says as a whole.

Word Count: 243

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa! Thanks for the post. I loved this scenario because it is so accurate and relatable. I continuously find myself at my destinations, mainly driving to my parent's house, and always wondering, "how the heck did I just get here?". It's not that I am distracted by other things like my phone or talking to someone, I just am so used to that drive that I am not focusing too much on where I am. I think the author did a great job of relating it to reading something you're comfortable with. I find myself skimming on multiple occasions, but I need to make sure I am focusing in on the text and really comprehending the material.

    Word count: 118

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to add something new to the post with your comment. This is more on the side of congratulating and relating than progressing the conversation.

      Delete
  2. Notice how the authors used that almost universal analogy to help you tap into your schema to better understand their text.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post

As a future math teacher, literacy is not often something that I think about or something that I have even thought about educating myself on...